Jesus Teaches on the Fall of Jerusalem
47 total verses: Matthew 24:15-33; Mark 13:14-29; Luke 21:20-31
Brief description of action taking place or point being made
264. Jesus predicts the fall of Jerusalem in Matthew 24:15-28; Mark 13:14-23; Luke 21:20-24
265. Jesus teaches about the 2nd coming in Matthew 24:29-31; Mark 13:24-27; Luke 21:25-28
266. Parable of the fig tree in Matthew 24:32-33; Mark 13:28-29; Luke 21:29-31
1. What is your favorite verse or set of verses? Why?
2. Did you learn anything from the reading or find anything particularly cool? What?
3. Was there anything unclear in the passage that you have questions about? What are they?
Specific questions on this passage
After Completing the Bible Reading
Broader outline of each section of passage
Matthew 24:15-28; Mark 13:14-23; Luke 21:20-24. Warnings about fleeing the destruction when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies; and praying that it would not take place in winter. The days of distress will be cut short for the sake of the elect. And another warning about false Christs. It says in Matthew that you won’t have to go out to see the coming of Christ, that it will be visible everywhere.
Matthew 24:29-31; Mark 13:24-27; Luke 21:25-28. This speaks of signs taking place in the sun and moon and stars before the return of Christ. This will cause anguish in the nations. Then seeing the Son of Man return with his angels to gather the elect. Matthew says that when the Son of Man comes, the nations will mourn.
Matthew 24:32-33; Mark 13:28-29; Luke 21:29-31. Jesus uses a parable about the fig tree and its shoots to say that when you see the signs, you know that it will happen soon.
My favorite passage and other random thoughts
It was hard to pick a favorite with so many hard things happening in these passages, but I think I will choose Matthew 24:31, “‘And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other'” (NIV). It is such a pleasant visual image to think of Jesus returning and him sending angels that are going all over the earth to gather the elect.