Death of John the Baptist
31 total verses: Matthew 14:1-12; Mark 6:14-29; Luke 9:7-9
Brief description of action taking place or point being made
88. Death of John the Baptist in Matthew 14:1-12
89. Herod fears John the Baptist has risen in Mark 6:14-29; Luke 9:7-9
1. What is your favorite verse or set of verses? Why?
2. Did you learn anything from the reading or find anything particularly cool? What?
3. Was there anything unclear in the passage that you have questions about? What are they?
Specific questions on this passage
After Completing the Bible Reading
Broader outline of each section of passage
Matthew 14:1-12; Mark 6:14-29; Luke 9:7-9. King Herod put John the Baptist in prison because his wife didn’t like the fact that John the Baptist was publicly saying it was wrong for them to be married, since she had actually been Herod’s brother’s wife first. At Herod’s birthday party, his wife’s daughter danced, and since it pleased Herod, he promised her anything she asked for. And she asked for John the Baptist’s head, which he gave her. Later, when Herod found out about Jesus, he thought that John the Baptist had come back from the dead.
My favorite passage and other random thoughts
Since this was about King Herod killing John the Baptist, I decided not to pick a favorite verse.