38 total verses, 12 for understanding: Mark 1:21-39; Luke 4:33-44; Matthew 8:14-17, 4:23-25
Brief description of action taking place or point being made
40. Demoniac in Capernaum synagogue in Mark 1:21-28; Luke 4:33-37
41. Peter’s mother-in-law healed in Matthew 8:14-17; Mark 1:29-31; Luke 4:38-39
42. Many healed at sunset in Mark 1:32-34; Luke 4:40-41
43. Disciples seek Jesus in Mark 1:35-38; Luke 4:42-43
44. Jesus preaches in the synagogues in Matthew 4:23-25; Mark 1:39; Luke 4:44
1. What is your favorite verse or set of verses? Why?
2. Did you learn anything from the reading or find anything particularly cool? What?
3. Was there anything unclear in the passage that you have questions about? What are they?
After Completing the Bible Reading
Broader outline of each section of passage
Mark 1:21-28; Luke 4:33-37. Jesus was teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum, and while he was teaching, a man who had a demon disrupted the teaching and started revealing that he knew that Jesus was the Holy One of God. Jesus commanded the demon to be silent and cast out the demon. This made the people marvel and wonder what kind of authority Jesus had.
Matthew 8:14-17; Mark 1:29-31; Luke 4:38-39. Jesus went to Peter’s home, and when he saw that Peter’s mother-in-law was sick, he healed her immediately, and she got up and served them (I presume this meant a meal).
Mark 1:32-34; Luke 4:40-41. That evening, people from all around brought sick people and demonized people to him, and he healed them, though would silence the demons, so that they would not tell people who he was.
Mark 1:35-38; Luke 4:42-43. Even though Jesus was probably tired from being up late healing people, he nonetheless got up early in the morning and went out to a place of solitude where he could pray alone. Probably as a result of that prayer time, when his disciples found him, he told them that they needed to go to other towns to preach the good news.
Matthew 4:23-25; Mark 1:39; Luke 4:44. As Jesus went into these other towns, he continued preaching, healing, and casting out demons, and his fame spread throughout the region, and large crowds followed him.
My favorite passage and other random thoughts
My favorite verse from the readings is Mark 1:35: “Rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed” (ESV). I like Jesus’ example that he would risk his comfort by sacrificing sleep, because he needed to pray. And I like that he was praying for a good chunk of time — enough time that people would miss him and go looking for him. And the result of his prayer was that he got redirected, and in obedience it brought about great blessing to many people.